Thanks to its fibre and actinidin content and its positive effects on gastric and intestinal digestion, Zespri Green Kiwifruit has clear benefits for digestive health.
Zespri Kiwifruit are a source of both insoluble and soluble fibre. We need to eat both in our daily diets.
Actinidin is a unique digestive enzyme found in kiwifruits.
Zespri Kiwifruit are a source of fibre. Regular consumption of Zespri Kiwifruit contributes to good digestive health by:
- Reduction in bloated feelings
- Improving bowel habits
- Positive alterations in intestinal enzymes which stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria and inhibition of harmful bacteria.
Actinidin is a cysteine protease enzyme found in kiwifruit, which breaks down proteins and facilitates gastric digestion. This natural enzyme has the ability to break-down a wide range of food proteins more completely and faster than the digestive enzymes can do on their own.
Here are some of the digestive benefits of actinidin:
- Reducing the glucose absorption rate, so that the GI is lowered and blood sugar levels remain stable
- Increasing the sense of fullness, since the fibre acts to increase viscosity and slow gastric emptying
- Increasing the frequency of bowel movements
- Reducing the sensation of bloatedness
- Reducing the time of intestinal transit
* Nutrient Adequacy Score, USDA Nutrient Database 2012 (Release 25); New Zealand FOODfiles 2012 Version 01