Zespri® Kiwifruit with Sweet and Sour Fish
- 2 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400 g fish fillet (cut into 5 cm pieces)
- ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ cup corn flour
- 1 cm ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion (60 g), cut into wedges
- 10 yellow and/or red cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small yellow capsicum, cut into 2 cm pieces
- Oil for shallow frying (about 1 cup or 250 ml)
Seasoning Mixture Ingredients
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
Developed exclusively for Zespri by popular Malaysian chef Rohani Jelani
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside. Pat and season fish lightly with salt and pepper, then dredge in corn flour. Shake off excess flour.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and deep fry fish until brown. Do not turn pieces over until a light golden “crust” has formed. Then turn and cook other side. (If necessary, deep fry fish in several batches and allow space in between fish during frying).
When done, remove pieces onto a plate. Turn off heat and let oil/pan cool. Remove most of the oil, leaving only 1 tablespoon in the pan.
Reheat pan over medium heat and fry ginger, garlic and onion in the oil for 3 – 4 minutes. Add kiwifruit, tomatoes and capsicum and stir-fry for 3 – 4 minutes.
Stir sauce mixture and pour into pan.
Bring sauce to boil, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens – about 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary and spoon sauce over fish. Serve immediately with hot rice.